Hello, Friends! If you’re looking for a way to escape the summer heat, why not spend a leisurely hour in the craft room? It’s so relaxing to pull out your favorite paper pretties and make something beautiful!
Woodland Café is a whimsical collection that transports you away from the hustle and bustle and into the serenity of the country. I’ve paired it up with charming Birdie Café Decoupage Papers, die cut ephemera, Heleen Flowers and lots of bits and bobs. This 8″ x 8′ wall hanging is perfect for the summer months.
Here are a few simple tips for adding mixed media touches to your projects.
- Distressed edges add wonderful texture to the edges of cardstock. Use a distressing tool, or simply run the blade of your scissors along the edge of the paper. Little tears are even better!
- Chalk paint is one of my favorite mediums. You can paint edges, paint metals, spatter on the finished project, or brush on flower petals to add a wonderful shabby feel to your project.
- Machine stitching adds texture, subtle pattern and helps to frame a piece.
- Check your spice cabinet! Mustard seeds and green peppercorns lend an organic feel to the composition.
Little Birdie Metallic Wax adds another layer of distressing to painted metals and resin. I just rub it on lightly with my finger. Primed chipboard can be used as is, rubbed with metallic wax, or painted and spritzed with mica sprays. All these elements work together to make mixed media easy to do!
If you’d like to join me as I create this project, please watch the video tutorial below.
Here are the Little Birdie products I used to make this project.
- Little Birdie Crafts Woodland Stories
- Little Birdie Serenade Ivory Flowers (out of stock)
- Birdie Café Decoupage Paper
- Primed Chipboard
- Shades of Brown Flower Pots Handmade Embellishments
- Metallic Wax: Patina Glaze & Antique Gold
I hope you find time to escape from the heat and play in your studio soon! Thanks for stopping by!